Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Why ?


Today he tricked me, mocked me, humiliated me and shamed me in front of his father.
Why am I affected so deeply by his actions? damn it!


We married,
but he never looked in my eyes and told me he loved me. Instead it seemed like he was completing a necessary task.



I gave him children. He never cried tears of joy at their birth, never commented on their beauty - their wonder. Instead he seemed unmoved.

He never gave me his trust, never became vulnerable with me, never allowed me to hold his heart

He scolded me when I began to ponder life's big questions: "yeah, lets worry about that" he would say.

He mocked me when I spoke of God, Jesus, spiritual connectedness. He said that Jesus was a "cu_ _" . I was apalled.

After puddles and oceans of tears, decades of disappointments, and a tiny handful of personal realizations. I asked him to leave. We have been apart for 3 years.

So why why why am I STILL hurt and shaken when he lies, behaves unfairly toward the children, and disrespectfully toward me?


why
why
why would I ever think there would be anything different inside of him?

Am I crying for myself or
for the children?

for what could have been but was not?

or am I just a girl who misses her father?


"Daddy, he wasn't the man you thought he was"

Why do I still want to protect him though? Why do I still think of him, ache for him when he was that lonely boy back in high school.
How can I still feel for him when he has
abandoned me
and wounded me so deeply?

I don't know.
I want to know.

Knowing would make some sense of the nonsense that drives me insane I think.

Its so very much easier to blame myself...............
- less thinking
- less anger
- less complicated.

Maybe the answer is the children.
They are such wonderful blessings. Gifts from God.

I want to be loveable.


I remain hopeful.

20 years and counting.

I really don't get it at all.

4 Comments:

Blogger lori said...

Ya, that unanswerable 'why' question...

I think you're accurate in boiling it down to 'I want to be loveable'. Don't we all? And when it doesn't come, I tend to believe it has more to do with the other person's inability to love - than our innate love-ability.

I was in a relationship like you've described once too, and it shaped many of the things I still believe about myself. My mind knows it's not true, not accurate, my heart, tho' - that's another story.

I have to remind myself to be kind to myself. Sometimes my inner voice sounds like his...

I wish you peace & freedom.

(Gosh, I don't mean to sound like someone who has it all figured it. I don't. But I think I understand a bit of what you're feeling)

8:15 AM  
Blogger 2sunset said...

Thanks so much Lori. It gets lonely with those thoughts sometimes - ...but knowing that others have been there is helpful.
: )

7:24 PM  
Blogger Kirs said...

I reread the story about Irene. And like the first time I read it, I am stunned once again. My thoughts about the way she was treated are not kind, that's not like me -- SO ... I went to the comments and read what "Mark" wrote and I can only say that his words are so true. Irene IS in the arms of God and in YOUR ever so tender heart ...

Thank you for the email, I have missed hearing from you!

Kirs ~

5:38 PM  
Blogger Tee said...

I just read your comment to Andrew at 4th Avenue Blue. It brought me to tears, then I clicked over to your other blog, that brought me to tears, because my Mom is 90 and beginning to be kinda frail, even though she still lives alone and cooks for herself. THEN I read this blog, I have tears rolling down my fact--you see my nieces' husband just walked off and left her Sunday. We all are pretty devistated, which is an understatement for my niece.

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home