Thursday, January 24, 2008

So when did I become the "old Aunt?"


Oh my goodness!

I was 18 yesterday, yet here I am... the "old Aunt", on display. Well I suppose "on display" is better than "in hiding".

My dear Nephew, who is 25 but strangely enough was just born about a year ago, brought his friend over tonight to visit with a case of "mingler" beer. We talked about relationships, jobs, dogs and music and then we said our goodbyes.

But as I went through the evening, I realized that I was playing a role for which I knew the script even though I never felt that I was qualified to play it. The strange thing was that I felt like an imposter.

I am NOT a 45 year old Aunt who is employed in a position of achievement and respect and who has raised 2 children to puberty. I am an 18 year old underemployed self-conscious individual who has yet to realize her full potential.

I am NOT the one to which the friends of family members are brought for entertainment, conversation or enlightenment.... I am maybe a "nice" relative to meet somewhere accidentally along the line of life.

Wow. But my Nephew seems really convinced that I am this other thing so I guess I must play the part. I will be the wise "Aunt" for tonight...


...Well, I must say that I do love him so...and his friend is really such a nice young boy...

(with really broad shoulders and a sweet sexy look)....STOP THAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay on the one hand, life is short, but on the other hand it is the longest thing that you'll ever do..

All I can say is

HOW DID I EVER GET TO BE THIS OLD!?!?!?!?!?!
And will I ever feel "wise" or will I always be the Great Imposter?

4 Comments:

Blogger lori said...

Oh, I sooooooooooooo relate. I feel like an imposter too!

11:20 PM  
Blogger Rhette said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, at least I know you're around :)

I looked for your email address here but didn't find one so plez post here more - you write VERY well you know. You should do it more often ...

Don't stay away so long :)

11:38 PM  
Blogger Lucinda said...

*giggling*

At least you're eighteen. I'm a twelve year old with pigtales who everybody thinks is near twenty-five on the brink of graduating college and starting a promising teaching carrer. My own oldest nephew looks up to me, always has in fact, and I've always found it scary and strangely disturbing since I was only nine when he was born. He's convinced that in a past life I was his mother, but I think my whole family is deluded in thinking I'm the wise, grounded one.

12:22 AM  
Blogger mosiacmind said...

i wanted to say hello for stopping by my blog. i will enjoy reading yours i do think. growing old when my nephews have kids is what makes me feel old and i am not that old i just sometimes i feel like i am and at times i feel like i am twelve again.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home